Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Position Title: Project Manager
Project Name: Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and at least one other local language
Supervisor: Project Director
Starting Date: On or around July 1, 2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year from date of hire with potential for extension
Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
Context: The Project Manager, under the guidance of the Project Director, will oversee all project activities and coordinate with other related support functions including grants management, financial support, and administration that take place in the Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia). S/he will be responsible for planning and executing project activities to ensure that the project is on time and on budget. S/he will manage and coordinate activities among Country Coordinators in the Balkans and serve as a point of contact for Balkans-related project activities for the rest of the project staff. S/he establishes and maintains an excellent communication structure for the activities in the Balkans and is responsible for all related project reporting, including Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E). S/he will also work closely with the Regional Content Production Expert to brainstorm and collect content produced in the Balkans for the project’s regional news program.
- Assume responsibility and ownership of organizing and implementing activities that take place in the region and in BiH. Potential duties may include organizing events and liaising with event invitees, speakers, trainers, and participants; collaborating with project staff in other countries on joint events or content production/promotion; providing support to and oversight of grants, and other responsibilities.
- Provide overall support to project events by offering BiH-specific assistance (ex. finding local trainers and participants, etc.), providing input on event agendas and themes, and coordinating Balkan-wide efforts.
- Serve as the point of contact in the Balkans for the project and represent the project at local events when necessary.
- Coordinate hiring and travel logistics for trainers, consultants, and event participants in the Balkans for project-supported events and provide BiH-specific assistance with local visa applications, travel and accommodations arrangements, etc. in conjunction with other project staff as required.
- Work creatively with the project’s Regional Content Production Expert and local media outlets and production houses to identify and develop BiH-specific material for a regional multimedia news program. Coordinate Balkan-wide content generation efforts. Duties may include research on local trends and issues, correspondence with interested partners, supporting production of multimedia materials for the platform, communicating with other Balkan Country Coordinators to maximize regional content production efforts, etc.
- Oversee data collection for narrative and monitoring and evaluation reporting in the Balkans and contribute BiH-specific material for program reports, communications materials, and other program documentation in collaboration with project and HQ staff and as per award stipulations.
- Facilitate translation and/or engage translators for project materials and events as necessary.
- Monitor the local media environment and provide updates on current events, legal changes, and other information that could impact media and project activities in country to the project director and other project staff as necessary.
- Promote project-related opportunities among potential and current beneficiaries and stakeholders through various channels, including social media.
- Collect and review financial reports from subrecipients as necessary in conjunction with other project staff to ensure compliance with donor regulations.
- Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- 5-8 years programmatic and administrative experience, preferably working on USG or international donor-funded projects.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve.
- Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of the broader media environment and social issues in the Balkans.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and common online and social media platforms,
- Must be a self-starter, self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- A working understanding of grant management and related USG rules.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and reliably from a remote location, making sure that quality maintains high standards and is provided according to strict deadlines.
- Strong managerial skills to coordinate project activities from a remote location; ability to travel to the country to provide face-to-face oversight when necessary.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff.
- Bachelor degree in relevant field or equivalent standard of education.
- Fluency in English and Bosnian required; fluency or proficiency in at least one other local Balkan language preferred.
Interested candidates can send their current CV and letter of interest to: Balkans-Jobs@INTERNEWS.ORG till June 14, 2019.