Internews Job Description
Duty Station: Sarajevo
Position Title: Grants and Contracts Officer
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian required.
Preferred Start Date: May 2022
Application deadline: March 18th 2022
Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
Internews has launched several regional media support projects in the West Balkans focused on supporting local independent journalists and media outlets. The projects aim to foster resilience in media and society by helping make credible, professional media more competitive, and expanding domestic audiences and demand for fact-based, reliable information.
The Grants and Contracts Officer will manage a considerable portion of Field Grant portfolio and will work directly with counterparts at Internews in Washington DC and Arcata offices to ensure a smooth flow of sub-grant requests and documentation from project target countries to the US and sub-grant funding from the US to project target countries. S/he will maintain communication with subrecipients on administrative and management questions. S/he will also work to ensure activities in compliance with the funder requirements and report to the Sarajevo-based Senior Project Manager and Project Director. This is a full-time position.
- Work directly with counterparts at Internews in Washington DC and Arcata offices to ensure a smooth flow of sub-grant requests and documentation from project target countries to the US and sub-grant funding from the US to project target countries.
- Manage a considerable portion of Internews Field Grant portfolio under supervision of the Senior Project Manager and Project Director.
- Maintain regular contact with Internews sub-grantees with respect to implementation of projects.
- Coordinates with the project’s country-based coordinators on administrative and technical monitoring of subgrants.
- Responsible for developing, translating and updating grant agreements (after consultations with Arcata counterparts).
- Consult Internews partners on all types of reporting. Ensure the reports are submitted by sub-grantees on a timely basis.
- Identifies, follows up, monitors, and evaluates funded projects.
- Responsible for maintaining sub-grant agreement and reporting files.
- Keep Senior Project Manager and Project Director informed of all challenges, issues and successes of sub-grantees.
- Contribute to Internews program reports.
- Contribute to development of RFAs and other grant-making or solicitation documentation.
- Work closely with the finance staff to ensure that Internews, funder and local regulations are observed in sub-grantee grant execution.
- Provide support as necessary when commissioning services from vendors and contractors, perform due diligence and vendor selection in compliance with Internews policies, funder and local/regional regulations, taking care of contractual documentation in collaboration with Internews HQ team, when necessary.
- Follow changes in DoS/DRL or other funder, Internews and local requirements.
- Represent Internews at external meetings if assigned by management.
- Assists Senior Project Manager in preparing reports, projections, implementation plans, etc., as needed
- Other tasks if assigned by Internews management.
- Experience in grant program design, including design and oversight of RFAs, grant decision making bodies and grants administration and monitoring required.
- Experience in federal grants management and U.S. government grant regulations – highly preferred.
- University graduate with 2-5 years work-related experience
- Experience in the West Balkans region or other similar operating environments required.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities.
- Strong computer skills particularly with MS Excel, Word.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Works effectively in stress related environments.
- General familiarity with political, economic, and social issues in the West Balkan region.
- Ability to handle multi-faceted programs.
- Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and create programming accordingly.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place.
- English, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language skills required.
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org by 18th March 2022