Publication Date: March 21, 2023
Grant amount for individual grants: up to $2,950.00
Grant amount for registered entities: up to $10,000.00
Duration: 3-6 months
Deadline for Applications: April 10th, 2023
1. Cycle 1 – closed.
2. Cycle 2 – Monday, April 10th, 2023, at 17:00 CET
3. Cycle 3 – Friday, September 15th, 2023, at 17:00 CET
4. Cycle 4 – Friday, December 15th, 2023, at 17:00 CET
The Balkan Media Assistance Program to Foster Organizational Readiness While Advancing Resilient Development (BMAP Forward), funded by USAID and implemented by Internews as a part of the PROGRESS Human Rights Support Mechanism, is reopening a call for its Rolling Innovation Fund.
What is the Rolling Innovation Fund?
The Rolling Innovation Fund is an ongoing grant opportunity under USAID’s BMAP Forward, open to individuals, civil society organizations and media based in the five Western Balkan BMAP Forward countries (see eligibility criteria below). BMAP Forward promotes continuous idea generation and supports regional linkages throughout its project implementation.
The Fund will support projects and ideas based on use of recent technological and digital solutions and trends relevant to the media community in the region.
We are looking for ideas that enhance media with technological innovation and localized tools, as well as projects that will help tackle challenges facing digital media across the Western Balkan Region.
The Fund welcomes fresh ideas to support independent media, which could include activities such as:
- Open-source software for journalism
- Open-source social media management tools for media businesses
- Localization of existing software solutions
- Integration of existing IT solutions into their current workflow
- Social media applications to engage vulnerable groups and minorities
- Experiments to attract new audiences
- Use of new techniques for marketing and monetization of digital media content
- Data-informed content creation
- Graphic journalism.
Results of the projects could include developing a tool or mobile application; creating a webinar or workshop; starting a podcast or advocacy campaign; or any other work that would strengthen the media environment in the Western Balkan Region.
USAID’s BMAP Forward will favorably view projects that provide technological solutions that strengthen digital media and the transition to digital-first and virtual newsrooms.
Who is Eligible?
The Rolling Innovation Fund is open to teams and individuals based in the five Western Balkan BMAP Forward countries (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia), including BMAP Forward Key Media Partners, other independent media organizations, teams of individuals, freelancers, and professionals working with media such as journalists, editors, civil society/NGO representatives, IT developers, designers, and artists eager to come up with innovative ideas.
The Fund is available to individual applicants (up to $2,950.00 each) and to registered entities (up to $10,000.00 each).
1. Subgrant Application Template
2. Subgrant Detailed Budget Template
Applications and supporting documents must be submitted through