Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina preferred, or elsewhere in BiH, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, or Serbia
Position Title: Digital Security Advisor
Project Name: USAID’s Balkan Media Assistance Program (BMAP)
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and at least one other regional language
Supervisor: Media Resource Web Editor
Starting Date: On or around October 1, 2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year from date of hire with potential for extension dependent on funding
Context: Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
In partnership with FHI360, Internews implements USAID’s Balkans Media Assistance Program (BMAP), a regional media support project focused on strengthening the competitiveness, sustainability, and cooperation of the independent media sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Serbia. USAID's BMAP aims to make media more competitive in the local and regional marketplaces and strengthen the sustainability of the independent media sector across the region, particularly in the digital space.
Job Summary: The Digital Security Advisor will work with USAID’s BMAP media partners throughout the Balkans region to assess and improve the digital security of their systems and staff. S/he will conduct digital security risk assessments for media companies and organizations, advise them on the purchase of software and equipment and recommend systems/behavioral changes to mitigate identified risks. S/he will conduct related trainings, provide ongoing consultations, and support implementation of security upgrades in partnership with partners’ existing IT staff or contractors as necessary. S/he will advise on production of digital security-related content for BMAPs’ web portal Balkansmedia.org and its social channels, in close coordination with the site’s content producer and editor.
• Monitor emerging security risks that might affect media and journalists in the Balkans.
• Identify and advise on important digital security topics for local journalists and media
• Design training materials for online and offline learning in non-technical language and, in cooperation with an in-house Content Producer, adapt them for use and sharing in a variety of formats
• Conduct digital security assessments of USAID’s BMAP partner media companies and organizations throughout the region and advise them on actions to mitigate risks, including procurement of equipment and software as well as practice changes
• Conduct digital security trainings and consultations for media partners and grantees
• Advise on and develop curricula and content for project events (i.e. Annual Media Forum, Innovation Lab)
• Create and develop partnerships with other organizations working on cybersecurity issues as they relate to media
• Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• 5-8 years of experience working in digital security and IT, preferably with experience handling cybersecurity issues for media
• Experience as a trainer of others in digital security (references required), including experience developing educational curricula
• Experience with threat modeling, conducting digital security risk assessments, and selecting/installing digital security-related software and equipment for companies or organizations
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and at least one other regional language
• Willingness to travel frequently around the Balkans region
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and common online and social media platforms
• Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to problem-solve
• Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
• Must be a self-starter, self-reliant, resourceful, good-humoured, and flexible
• Ability to work independently, efficiently, and reliably, adhering to high quality standards and strict deadlines
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff and partners
• Working knowledge of the broader media environment challenges facing journalists in the Balkans
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent standard of education.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to Balkans-Jobs@internews.org by August 26, 2019 with the subject line “Application—Digital Security Advisor.”