Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina or remotely from a participating Western Balkan country (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia or Serbia).
Position Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and at least one local language in BiH
Application Deadline: 15 April 2022
Application Deadline: 15 April 2022
Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
The USAID-funded Balkans Media Assistance Program to Foster Organizational Readiness while Advancing Resilient Development (BMAP Forward) is a regional media support project in the Balkans focused on strengthening the competitiveness, sustainability, and cooperation of the independent media sector in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Serbia. BMAP Forward aims to make media more competitive in the local and regional marketplaces and strengthen the sustainability of the independent media sector across the region, particularly in the digital space. BMAP Forward is implemented by Internews with administrative oversight from Freedom House.
The Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager will implement the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan (AMELP), designed in coordination with Internews’ M&E specialist and Freedom House’s monitoring and evaluation advisor. S/he will design and implement (in coordination with project staff) methodologies to gather quantitative and qualitative data required by the AMELP. S/he will be responsible for maintaining accurate records on data gathered during all stages of project implementation in line with USAID data quality standards, providing M&E data in bimonthly reports and as requested by USAID, and liaising with external evaluators should USAID conduct any evaluations. The position will be based in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina or remotely from one of BMAP Forward’s participating countries (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia or Serbia).
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Collect, verify, and report M&E data required in the BMAP Forward AMELP in compliance with USAID’s, Internews’, and Freedom House’s data quality standards;
- Update the design of the M&E framework and data collection systems for the project as necessary;
- Hold semi-annual Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning check-ins with relevant staff members and use feedback to adapt the AMELP and data collection systems accordingly, if necessary;
- Manage the routine and systematic collection of data from all sub-grantees in accordance with their grant agreements by working collaboratively with the BMAP Forward Grants Manager(s), Country Coordinators, and other project staff, and possibly with representatives from Key Partner outlets if needed;
- Develop internal tracking systems to maintain M&E data in an organized, secure, and easy-to-understand way.
- Monitor, review and ensure the quality of M&E data from Key Partners, mentors, grantees, and technical specialists.
- Oversee consistent application of M&E standards by BMAP Forward subgrantees, ensuring that all sub-awards include well-designed M&E plans that utilize realistic and relevant indicators and targets;
- Provide training, mentoring and oversight of subgrantees’ M&E systems, reports, and products
- Support the design and implementation of baseline/midline assessments and other surveys according to the approved workplan.
Reporting and Communications
- Assist project staff in producing regular, timely and accurate narrative reports (including M&E data) per HQ and donor guidelines. Work closely with project and HQ staff to revise the reports as necessary.
- Coordinate with Country Coordinators (and if necessary, subgrantees) to ensure their timely submission of monitoring and evaluation data and examples of project impact that meet Internews’ and donor standards for quality, detail, and clarity.
- Respond to requests from the donor and HQ staff about M&E data, methodologies, and examples of project impact from various target countries/partners promptly and accurately.
- Produce project communications materials and success stories as per donor requirements and Internews’ internal standards in conjunction with other project staff as required.
- Assist the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and HQ staff in the development, drafting, and editing of annual project workplans.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, development, or related field or equivalent standard of education. Master’s degree and/or professional training in M&E preferred.
- At least 5 years professional experience in the field of performance measurement for social development activities and/or media. Experience working on USAID-funded projects is highly preferred.
- Strong familiarity with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and M&E database systems. Knowledge of data management processes and tools.
- Experience with relevant M&E and communications software.
- Experience working with and providing technical and/or capacity building support to media outlets in the Balkans.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience providing technical support to a cross-section of staff and local partners.
- Fluency in English and B/C/M/S languages required
- Solid English writing skills, to a publishable standard.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and information management skills.
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and reliably, to a high standard and to deadline.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff.
- Willingness to travel to project areas in different locations across the project’s target countries.