Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Position Title: Multimedia Content Producer
Project Name: USAID’s Balkan Media Assistance Program (BMAP)
Part- or Full-Time: Negotiable
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and at least one other regional language
Supervisor: Media Resource Web Editor
Starting Date: On or around October 1, 2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year from date of hire with potential for extension dependent on funding
Context: Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
In partnership with FHI360, Internews implements USAID’s Balkans Media Assistance Program (BMAP), a regional media support project focused on strengthening the competitiveness, sustainability, and cooperation of the independent media sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Serbia. BMAP aims to make media more competitive in the local and regional marketplaces and strengthen the sustainability of the independent media sector across the region, particularly in the digital space.
Job Summary: The Multimedia Content Producer will design, produce, and promote content in a variety of multimedia formats (including text) for BMAPs’ web portal Balkansmedia.org and its social channels. S/he will work under the guidance of the Media Resource Website Editor and in close consultation with the project’s Digital Security Advisor. Balkansmedia.org is a multilingual site featuring educational and skills-building content for Balkan media professionals, aspiring journalists, and other content creators. It focuses on innovation and technology in the media sphere. We are looking for someone who is great at condensing complex information into easy-to-understand textual, graphical, and visual formats. Strong candidates will demonstrate a strong track record of producing creative content that engages audiences on social media. S/he should ideally possess a strong interest in IT and digital security, since much of the content s/he will be producing will relate to these topics.
- Research, write, and produce online educational content for media professionals and other content creators in a variety of multimedia formats (tutorials, short videos, photos, infographics, Instagram Stories, short and longer-form text articles, interactive features, etc.)
- Produce short, timely, practical tips for increasing the security of journalists’ computers, mobile phones, stored data, and other sensitive information focused not only on how but why, in close coordination with a Digital Security Advisor
- Translate complex concepts into clear language understandable to a non-technical person, both for the website as well as for use during in-person trainings
- Monitor analytics data and audience engagement with web and social content and, in partnership with the Editor, adjust content production, distribution, and promotion strategies accordingly
- Facilitate translation of multimedia content and work with freelance content producers as necessary
- Travel throughout the Balkans if necessary to produce on-site photo and video content
- Create content with users’ needs and preferences in mind
- Adhere to high standards of accuracy, objectivity, and journalistic ethics
- Contribute to content idea generation and refinement of freelancers’ work
- Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years of experience in journalism, communications, marketing, or instructional design, including significant experience producing engaging text and multimedia content for the web and social media
- Proficiency using Drupal, graphic design programs, basic photo and video editing software, Microsoft Office suite, Buffer or other social media planning tools, and common free and open-source design software
- Ability to produce professional content for and drive engagement on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
- Solid understanding of web and social media analytics (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, etc.) and other methods for measuring audience engagement and adjusting content strategy based on the results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and at least one other regional language
- Working knowledge of the broader media environment and challenges facing journalists in the Balkans
- Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to problem-solve
- Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Must be a self-starter, self-reliant, resourceful, good-humoured, and flexible
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and reliably, adhering to high quality standards and strict deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff
- Willingness to travel throughout the Balkans region as necessary for on-site content production
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent standard of education.
Please submit a CV, cover letter, and link to your online portfolio or samples of multimedia content you have created to Balkans-Jobs@internews.org by August 26, 2019 with the subject line “Application—Multimedia Content Producer.”