ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) for a USG-funded project that aims to strengthen the competitiveness of independent media in the Western Balkans in the local and regional marketplaces and improve the sustainability of the sector across the region through creative partnerships and collaboration. The DCoP will support the Chief of Party (CoP) in the oversight and management of project activities, including partners management, project management, and field coordination; provide technical guidance on activities and grants design and implementation; significantly contribute to the production of narrative reports; and supervise program personnel. They will report to the CoP, and will be required to act as CoP from time to time in their absence; the DCoP will take on delegated CoP responsibilities as required.
This role will be based partially remotely in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Relocation assistance will be available.
This is a limited duration role with an expected end date of Feb 2, 2027.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
Project Management Strategy and Systems
- Supports the Chief of Party (CoP) to draft and edit activity work plans, progress reports, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plans, communications materials, and agreement modification requests; respond to donor inquiries; and strengthen long-term strategy for Internews in the Western Balkans.
- Provides technical input and guidance on project partners’ activities design and implementation and manage partners work ensuring coordination and high quality of deliverables to achieve the program goal, objectives, and intended impact and outcomes.
- Cultivates relationships with media outlets, media support organizations, and civil society to strengthen relationships with a wide array of stakeholder organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Communicate closely with Internews HQ and the Chief of Party to ensure coordination across all activities and compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements, and branding and marking plans as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures where applicable.
- Supports Chief of Party in maintaining regular communication and coordination with USG, other donors, and implementers.
- Coordinates and communicates closely with other Internews projects in the Western Balkans to prevent duplication of efforts, ensuring coherent communications with donors and other stakeholders, and providing seamless support for shared partners across Internews programming in the region.
- Contributes to the development of project management systems, processes, and tools, including rollout and support ensuring wide adoption and use by project personnel and partners.
- Maintains strategic awareness of independent media issues in the Western Balkans (especially online digital media) and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media in engaging new audiences, maintaining editorial independence and press freedoms, and ensuring sustainability.
- Keeps up to date on the latest technology, analysis and business trends in media.
Partnerships and Technical Assistance
- Supervises and provides technical assistance for grants issued under the project and ensures sub-grant related deliverables are consistent with project objectives, work plans and anticipated results.
- Coordinates with other Internews projects in the region and communicates closely with their staff to ensure coherent and complementary management of grants, technical support and other resources to shared partners.
- Identifies regional and international thematic experts to serve as trainers, mentors, and speakers for project activities.
- Manages new partnership engagements in collaboration with the project team, as necessary.
- Performs any other related duties assigned by the supervisor to ensure program success.
- In all duties, upholds Internews' Core Values and demonstrates commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- University degree in management, international development, or related field or equivalent lived/professional experience.Minimum 7 years' prior relevant experience, including at least 4 years of management experience, ideally as Deputy Chief of Party, Program Lead or similar on multi-component program(s) in media development and/or with media NGO
- Deep understanding of the local and regional informational ecosystem and/or media sector in the Western Balkans.
- Familiarity with gender and inclusion, communication, and USG branding and marking requirements.
- Familiarity with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and M&E database systems; and monitoring and evaluation for tracking project performance.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with government representatives, project beneficiaries and partners, and other project stakeholders.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience supervising diverse staff.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency and strong writing skills in English required.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet diverse workloads and competing deadlines.
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and provide ethical management.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with US government- and/or EU-funded programs strongly preferred.
- Prior experience managing programs in the Western Balkans is highly desired.
- Experience working with remote teams.
- Fluency and strong writing skills in Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian preferred
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.